History of Tracadie
The Town of Tracadie-Sheila first officially saw the light of day on 1 January 1992. As the name indicates, this new Town was in fact an amalgamation of the former Town of Tracadie and the former Village of Sheila. Raymond A. Losier (former mayor of Tracadie) was the first mayor and Allan Sonier (former mayor of Sheila), was the Deputy Mayor until May 1992. During the first official election of the municipal council for the new Town of Tracadie-Sheila, M. André Morais was elected mayor.
A number of reasons encouraged leaders to amalgamate these two municipalities. They shared contiguous borders and several common services such as Recreation and Police services. There was duplication of administrative services, fire services and public works. Amalgamation represented savings in administrative costs. As well, a larger Town with greater demographic depth brought undeniable advantages in global development of the region.
Origin of the name
The origin of the name Tracadie is a derivative from the mikmak word Telagadik which means in the native language, a camping place. The actual location of Tracadie is when the Mikmak people used to camp while on fishing and hunting expeditions.
Because of the unfamiliar syllables and of pronunciation difficulties for the white man, the word was changed over the years until it became Tracadie, as we see it today. It went from Tregate in 1604, to Tregatay in 1632, to Tracadille in 1794, to Tracady in 1845 and finally to Tracadie in 1851. The last change seems to have been made because of the presence of the parish priest F.X. LaFrance and because the majority of the villagers were French.
In the late 1800, according to many sources, an important man of the area, Mr. Foster (manager of the Foster Mill) intervened to the Postal Department in order to change the name of the post office which then had the name of Ferguson's Point. He wanted to name the locality in honor of his daughter Sheila. The Postal Department promptly accepted and the community took the name of Sheila.
Incorporation of Sheila
On August 9th, 1970 was a meeting was held to organize Sheila as a local services district. This was a first step before becoming a municipality. The first local services were: fire protection, street lightning, ambulance services and recreation facilities.
Mr. Allan Sonier became the president of the advisory commitee until 1977. On August the 26th 1978, a public information meeting was held in order to incorporate Sheila as a village. Sheila was officially incorporated village on October 1st 1978.
First municipal elections took place on October 2nd 1978 . The elected members were: Mr. Allen Sonier, mayor along with the counsellors : Mr. Alonzo D. Sonier, Mr. Richard Faudel, Mr. Edward Ferguson, Mr. Peter McGraw and Mr. Normand Saulnier. The fisrt council meeting took place on October 16th 1978 .
The village of Sheila has always thrive to bring new industries in the region. The village had a more residential population while specializing in sports thanks to the facilities such as the pool, the arena, the tennis court, the gymnasium and more.